Concert melodies lift audience out of their seats

Sabrina Simms

Students, faculty, staff members and other guests packed Biedenharn Recital Hall and awaited the ULM Chorale to begin the performance.

The choir was accompanied by pianists Betsy Lowe and Julian Jones along with percussionist Will Hieronymus.

Some returning students and instructors waited for the performance in anticipation, while others did not know what to expect as the lights in the recital hall dimmed and the crowded room was suddenly silenced.

Antoinette Johnson, a freshman psychology major, said she was indifferent prior to the performance.

As the night progressed, Johnson’s opinion changed. She didn’t expect the mood in the recital hall to build the way that it had.

In contrast to the soft melodies that were played and sung such as “Lux Aeterna” and “Kyrie,” Hieronymus accompanied the choir with a few upbeat pieces.

By the finale, “The Storm is Passing,” the audience was on its feet and began to clap and sing along.

“It turned out great actually, especially the ending,” Johnson said.

Deborah Chandler, director of Choral Activities, said they have been preparing since before this semester began.

“This is one of my favorite events because it’s fairly informal. We always know it’s going to be a packed house, and it’s a short concert. I just love getting the whole audience involved,” Chandler said.

Midway into the performance, Chandler shared her directing duties with graduating student director Armand Wilson.

Wilson dedicated the song “The Road Home” to its composer Stephen Paulus who passed away a few weeks prior to the event due to a stroke.

Coming up on Nov. 25, the ULM Choral Department will take part in the annual Holidays at ULM Concert, starting at 5:30 p.m. in Brown Auditorium. During this event, many familiar holiday classics will be performed.

“Kids will enjoy it because they’ll recognize tunes like ‘Joy to the World,’ ‘Silent Night’ and ‘Away in a Manger.’ We’ll do some of the oldies but goodies. It will be in an aloof atmosphere, kind of like tonight. It’s a family event, so just come on,” Chandler said.