Student Writing Spotlight: Hansel and Gretel

Gretel and I wandered out through the woods, far past the forbidden boundary. A great darkness loomed deep in its abyss. Look far enough, and everything fades from sight. Every day, though, we explored deeper and deeper. What lay ahead was adventure. Hopefully, it was something greater than the lonely seclusion and chores in a grove. I would find and taste it. 

On one excursion, we climbed to the top of a hill, which allowed us to peer through the deep, curling branches of our dead forest. Smoke rose in the distance. Further down, weblike formations of magical barriers stood. Archaic stones hanging from string wove between each tree. They encircled our grove and family. Father said they were built to keep the evil monsters on the outside from coming in. It was there, the most we’d ever strayed, that we met another kid for the first time. 

A girl and her lantern light saved us from getting lost in fog after Gretel, that idiot, forgot to trail the breadcrumbs. Her name was Laura. You should’ve seen her surprise when in response to her asking whose kids we were in the village, we pointed the other way. Laura told us it couldn’t have been possible. Devils lived among us, apparently. I opened my mouth to show my normal teeth and normal smile. Gretel did too. We became friends with Laura. Well, we were friendly enough to convince her to let us prove her wrong. She was on the evil side! She’d know if she met our family.

Laura followed us home to the grove. Our parents welcomed her in without a second thought and prepared a black iron kettle bath. Once she finally relaxed, warm cloth draping over her eyes, they stretched her out for a massage meant to relieve stress. Mom sent us far out for firewood. She wanted the top branches of a specific hilltop oak tree. They were somehow special, you see. When we came back, forearms cut up and out of breath from all the climbing, Laura had already left. 

Mom promised that she had a great time. She even helped make dinner more delicious than it’s ever been! Dad has gotten less scared of the outside world too. Every day and night, he asks us to bring more friends. I like the excitement, but it’s all he and Mom talk about. The more time passes without it happening, the more they twitch, yell at us and pace around the kitchen. I get how it is to be lonely, but can’t they just go out and make their own friends? Nevertheless, Gretel and I are excited for what fun is ahead!