University, YMCA partner to reopen natatorium

After facing indefinite closure in December, the Lake C. Oxford Natatorium is scheduled to reopen today thanks to a partnership formed between the University and the YMCA.

ULM and the YMCA have agreed to an 18-month deal that gives operational control of the facility to the YMCA and its staff. The University maintains ownership of the building, and student fees will still be used to pay for things such as preventative maintenance, insurance and utility costs.

“The YMCA is thrilled at this opportunity to offer aquatics programs to the campus and the community,” Chris Pealer, YMCA executive director, said in a press release.

The fate of the natatorium had been in question since last summer and took an even more dire turn after a student straw poll vote last semester. Forty-six percent of voters favored closing the building and instead building an outdoor pool in Bayou Park.

Student Government Vice President Hunter Vanderberg said SGA intends to move forward with a referendum this semester that would raise fees in order to pay for and maintain the proposed outdoor facility.

Students were given an estimated cost of an $80 increase per semester for the Bayou Park pool, but that number is likely still not final. Vanderberg said the original plans could be adjusted in an effort to keep fees as low as possible.

Minor renovations to the building have taken place during the winter break. Power washers were used to remove flaking paint from the rafters. A replacement part to the chiller was special ordered to get the air conditioning working again.

Pealer and University President Nick Bruno both confirmed that money raised through community fundraising, not student fees, was used to pay for the renovations.

The YMCA and the University are hosting a ribbon cutting at 11 a.m. today at the natatorium to launch the official reopening of the building. City leaders including Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo and community organizers are planning to speak at the event.