Cable upgrades delayed 10 days

Stracener
Stracener

Residents becoming frustrated without all their channels 

Delays in cable upgrades are causing some students to become impatient with the process.

The upgrade with Comcast was to begin Tuesday, Jan. 17 and was expected to end Wednesday, Jan. 24. During this time, students’ cable was expected to be limited and eventually students were left with only the basic channels. While some housing units, such as the Bayou Village Apartments and Masur, were successfully upgraded by Jan. 24 others are still without cable and may be without it for up to 10 additional days.

“I’m not very happy about it. Even though we’re getting extra channels I’m still mad I’ve missed ‘Pretty Little Liars,’” said Kylie Stracener, a junior mass communication major from Calhoun and a Commons I resident.

Stracener

While the upgrade may be taking longer than expected, it has had some perks. Not only are students not being charged extra, the upgrade comes with a Comcast converter box, a remote and it even includes TiVo. Channels now range from four to 847, and channels that were not available before have been included with the upgrade. Some of these channels include the Hallmark Movie Channel, Cartoon Network, Music Choice and more.

Baneita Smith, junior management major from Shreveport and Commons II resident, said, “Well, I’ve seen the upgrades in other rooms, and I appreciate the fact that we’re getting more channels.” A downfall she believes, however, is their process. “Well, I don’t like the fact that everyone had to lose their cable while they worked on one building at a time,” said Smith.