ULM Releases New Information on Walker Fire

New room assignments are available for classes and offices in George T. Walker Hall, formerly known as the Administration Building. Students can find updated information on their Moodle account.

Walker Hall caught fire on June 12, and all investigations by the Monroe Fire Department have ruled out arson, according to MFD Chief Investigator David Hill. No one was harmed in the fire, and the extent of the damage is unknown at this time.

“I am unable to rule out an energized stove top located in that area. Damage reviewed in this area is consistent with the energized stove top igniting common combustibles that were stored in the proximity,” Hill said in a statement released last Monday by MFD.

In a statement released by Vice President of Academic Affairs Eric Pani, Pani said Walker Hall was completely up-to-code.

In response to the series of questions about the fire, and its effects on students, ULM has added a section to their website dedicated to answering these questions. Students can go to www.ulm.edu/walkerhall for detailed information. Students can also visit their Moodle account for specific class schedule relocation.

Walker Hall is off-limits to everyone, who is not authorized. It will remain closed for the remainder of the 2012-2013 academic year.

The Financial Aid and the Registrar’s Offices were relocated to the second floor of Sandel Hall. A more-complete list of new office assignments is on the official ULM website.

Director of Media Relations Laura Woodard assured The Hawkeye that ULM is working very hard to prevent a “tragic occurrence” such as this from happening again.

Check back frequently as The Hawkeye will update students as new information becomes available.