Students strut stuff in style

Megan Kirk, Copy Editor

Student models strutted across the stage in business attire on Wednesday in the SUB ballroom at the 2016 Career Style Show.

The Style Show hosted by Career Connections, consisted of six categories of business and career situations that students might find themselves in some day.

These categories included career fairs, interviews, business lunches or dinners, sporting or charity events, conferences or conventions and banquets.

The volunteer models were ULM students who showed the audience what to wear and even what not to wear for each event.

Roslynn Pogue, the director of Career Connections, said that it’s essential for students to know what attire is appropriate or inappropriate for a business setting.

“They’re gonna think, ‘Really? I can’t wear that?’ That might look great at another occasion, but [not] if it’s a business occasion,” Pogue said, in reference to the “what not to wear” examples.

It may not seem extremely important at first, but business attire can range anywhere from casual to formal, so knowing about what to wear and when to wear it can make or break someone’s career.

She later emphasized that first impressions can be made within seconds and can make a huge difference in any situation. Make sure it counts.

It wasn’t all business, however.

There was a “fun walk” where the models could use props and dance moves to showcase themselves and business etiquette questions that volunteers from the audience could answer for prizes.

There was even a dance-off at one point.

The style show was also a competition with prizes for the winners of both the male and female categories.

Senior Communication Advocacy major Elaine Blanco won first place for the women after stealing the show with her white chiffon blouse, high-waisted pleated black skirt and black heels.

She said she had fun with the show and would highly recommend that other students participate in the future.

“Even if it’s out of your comfort zone, definitely do it because it’s fun, and you get to be yourself and you get to wear nice clothes,” Blanco said.

She also said the show is helpful because how to dress for an interview or for a career is not something that is taught in a classroom.