Hip hop class encourages dance course registration

Motownphilly by Boyz II Men played throughout Brown Annex Studios as students followed DéAntonia Jackson’s ‘90s hip hop choreography the best they could. Beads of sweat dripped down participants’ foreheads while smiles spread across their faces.

“If it is any genre of music that our generation can relate to, it’s the ‘90s,” Jackson said.

Jackson aimed the class toward a variety of students by varying the difficulty of the dance moves.

“The class was geared toward both experienced dancers and beginning dancers because it was not meant to be a 1-2 step, but you could still make it your own and have fun with it,” said Geuntraveous Lewis, dancer and winner of 2018 ULM’s Got Talent.

This was a refreshing event for many students who wanted to either push themselves to learn something new or just have fun.

Freshman vocal performance major Hanna Atsedewoin has not danced since high school, and was concerned that attending the event by herself she would feel out of place. However, Atsedewoin said she found herself feeling at home among the other participants.

“My favorite part of the night was being surrounded by people who love to dance and radiate a supportive spirit,” Atsedewoin said.

Whether it be dancing, getting in shape or having fun, ULM’s Chi Tau Epsilon Dance Honor Society has been providing its best efforts to bring students together and dance.

This was one of the last dance classes of the year, but Jackson hopes it will encourage ULM students to register for an actual class in the fall.

Maybe students like freshman Hawkline dancer Kennedy Boston-Woods will reconsider registering for a class after having a good experience during Jackson’s class.

“I came to the class because hip hop is my absolute favorite, and with it being ‘90s themed, I was excited to participate in the dance,” Boston-Woods said.

Hopefully, efforts like the ‘90s hip hop class will encourage students to continue attending dance classes during the fall semester.